Well, it's official. I'm not a superhero.

Many of you may fantasize about how wonderful it would be to actually have superhero powers. Well, let me tell you this, it's not all it's cracked up to be. I had near-superhero powers experience on Monday and I never want to have it again.
I woke up in time to get myself ready for my appointment with my sleep tech to have some diagnostics run on the loaner CPAP I'd been using. I felt relatively normal that day. Decent night's rest and all. Couldn't really complain. I gathered up the abundance of technical gadgetry which allow me to almost sleep like a normal human and stuffed it all in my car, settled into my seat, slipped my key into the ignition and gave it a twist. I thought it started normally. Was something wrong? Nah, I turned on my radio to the awesome alternative public station we have here and sped off to my sleep clinic.
My appointment passed without mishap and I left the medical facility with less gear than I entered with - always a plus on these appointments. It was still raining out. We had rain all that weekend and it wasn't choosing to relent on Monday. My sleep gear was tucked away in a protective case all will be well. I settled myself back into my seat, slid my key back into the ignition and turned that sucker over. Ok. That was kinda weird. Not sure what exactly was weird, but something may have sounded or felt odd. Ah well, it was time to hit the road and get myself home. I turned on the radio. No radio. I jammed the button a few times. Dead. Um. Ok. Clicked my wipers on. No wipers. No foglamps. My ABS lights are on and won't turn off. That's not right. Wonderful. I drove home 35 miles most of it on the freeway with no wipers in the downpour. Never been that stressed driving before. I called up my auto shop of choice and get an appointment to come in that afternoon. All will be right with my car soon, I thought. I had no idea how oddly correct I would be.
I booted up my computer at home to play a bit of my current addiction and get into game. Played for awhile. Power went out to my computers. Lights were still on in the den, but the outlet to the computers was dead. My kitchen power was dead. Outlets upstairs were dead. At this point my imagination spreads both wings and I figured that I'm just beginning to see the signs of my until recently latent new mutant ability - powers of electromagnetism. An EM pulse could have easily knocked out some systems in my car and somehow I just knocked out some systems in my home as well. Great. Stupid super-heroic abilities. How do superheroes live with this stuff, anyway?
I played with the breakers awhile, eventually things got righted and power was restored to all outlets. I headed out to my car to head for my appointment. Radio worked, wipers worked, fog lamps worked and the ABS light went off. I shrugged and turned off my car, called the shop and canceled my appointment. I guess I'll have to put the costume back in the closet for now. Ah well.


9 Comments:
So, you were EMP Man for a few hours? Different.
And most unpleasant. Powers were completely chaotic. No directional control. No ability to turn the power on and off. All random. Stupid power.
That is pretty freaky
Twas freakish indeed. But the repair bill for both incidents was most pleasant.
Next time I visit, I can check for loose connections in your sweet ride.
Was everything that went out in the house on circuit 9? We should look at adding a new dedicated circuit for just your computer.
My sweet ride would appreciate that Dewdew. As would I.
The last major electrical blowout we had resulted in the computer den getting its own dedicated circuit. So number 9 is no longer completely, utterly and totally overloaded.
I really have no idea what happened that day. Hopefully it won't rear its ugly head again.
Oh, that's right...I now remember you mentioning that. I think the ceiling light in there is still on 9, but not the machines, thank goodness.
Yep, we are very happy to have a dedicated circuit for our computers now.
T'is amazing the randomness of those superhuman powers. Mine have often showed themselves in the form of causitive explosive emesis. I think I just created that word..causitive..so I'll define it..I seem to cause others to vomit.
I can leave a room with the dog in trail..to observe the cat in his mighty pounce..it highly resembles a sleep position, but don't let him fool you. Then upon his one eye peering at me, he will urp up a chunck of god knows what..lordy be my powers are magnificent. But, it ends NOT there, no. Once my powers are activated, all must surcome. Cleaning my handiwork, the dog will then urp, with a look of, "Hey Dad...can ya turn your gift off please?" Out comes the handiwipes and that towel I am often told to, "Just throw out!" But I say every house should have a towel like that..I digress.
I have often been the victim of my own powers..I think it's simply a re-surging of energy. a recharge of sorts, but I sure can as hell six slot a fine urp myself. Oh well...
I'd rather for an EMP burst anyday.
Post a Comment
<< Home