Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I am an idiot. See also blockhead, boob, booby, cretin, dimwit, dunce, dunderhead, halfwit, imbecile, moron, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton or twit

Moral of the story:

Sometimes it's wise to read the manuals for your household air quality machines you paid chestfuls of loot for to make sure you understand how to operate and maintain them properly.

Last May we had all sorts of gadgets and gizmos installed to improve the air quality of our home.. air exchanger, air purifier, UV filter and house humidifier. Somehow I completely failed to read the manual for maintaining the Aprilaire 600 humidifer we had installed. I read everything else and have been maintaining that stuff well, I just seemed to have missed the humidifer for some odd reason. There is a filter in it that apparently you replace several times a year. I found this poor bastard last night when poking around inside the critter. So I've missed about oooohhh.. three changes on it so far? The layers of metal mesh inside are now host to mineral deposits a geologist would probably find intriguing. Apparently you also turn off the water flow to the humidifier for the summer and clean out the tubing and valve regularly. This would explain why the base of the peg board walls around the furnace are moist and beginning to create their own ecosystems.

Why I thought the humidifer was self-sustaining is beyond me. I usually pride myself on being quite thorough in the things I do. But in this matter I missed the boat. And I hate to miss the boat. And I can be somewhat hard on myself when I err as you will soon see.

My punishment will be as follows:

1.) Have coworker navigate* me to retailer for Aprilaire products on Lake Street where I will purchase two filters and one new valve.

2.) Find shut off valve for water intake into humidification unit immediately upon my arrival at my home this evening. Crank to the sans-agua position.

3.) Replace filter and valve posthaste after valve and electricity to unit is shut off.

4.) Mop up water that has undoubtedly collected there again during the course of the day.

5.) Scrub mildew off the walls.

6.) Flagellate back until bloody for not reading manual. Anoint back with rubbing alcohol to sterilize.

*I get lost. Easily. I have to have detailed directions to know how to get to my destination. And just because I know how to get somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean I know how to get back. Once I've been somewhere about three times, I usually have it down. My memory is like a sieve someone abused with a power drill sporting a half inch bit.

9 Comments:

Blogger katehopeeden said...

Don't feel bad. I have owned my vacuum cleaner for more than a year and a half. I just, this past weekend, found the filters in the bottom. There was enough dust and dirt and god knows what else in there to pot a plant in. It was so compacted that it took me nearly forty five minutes to clean.
In my defense, it is one set of like three filtering systems on said vacuum cleaner. But still, when it started to suck at sucking, I should have known.
Works like a charm now ;)
~K

8/03/2005  
Blogger A* said...

With all those thingamajiggies I am surprised you made it THRU that many manuals. You only missed one!

You figured it out and will maintain it quickly. Besides, now ya know. :)

8/03/2005  
Blogger Sascha said...

Crap? Are you serious? Is that the kind of humidifier that attaches directly the furnace/etc? I had one of those installed with the new furnace/ac last year. I am so doomed!

8/03/2005  
Blogger Grend31 said...

Three filters on a vacuum? Good grief.. must be one that Hazmat teams are issued.

Yes I do know now A*, thankfully. So all should be well if I can get the funk off the walls.

Yep, that's the critter Sascha.. but you probably have read and followed your directions carefully and all is well. Unlike myself who has created a seeping stewing biological mess.

8/03/2005  
Blogger dewdew said...

So... do you have a DEEE-humidifier running now to dry the place out? Or does this unit run in reverse?

8/03/2005  
Blogger Grend31 said...

Actually we have one down there running constantly for the summer. It's in the laundry room next door.

8/03/2005  
Blogger Sascha said...

My HVAC guy and Housing Resource Center guy both lectured me on the humidifier and I turned it on in October and off back in May. But I didn't know there was a freaking filter! Now I must go home and check!

8/03/2005  
Blogger Grend31 said...

The filters aren't bad.. only like $10 a piece. That was a bloody relief.

8/03/2005  
Blogger littledminor said...

Is humidification like humilification?

8/09/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home